Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Anderson & Presley


By the way, there is one big thing that makes her singing old fashioned in this recording (to my ears). What is it?
Though some of Marian's diphthongs in words seemed very deliberate some of her diphthongs were somewhat elongated in the word "sometimes". It sounded somewhat like, "Someti-eems" Every time she uttered this word, the contrast in diction from the word "sometimes" and her iteration were quite astounding. The only things that I really detected was this word and extremely dark vowels. 

In what ways is he doing the same things as Marian Anderson?
Well, Elvis Presly definitely doesn't exhibit the same english diction that Marian Anderson. However, he seems "bear" the note quite nicely when he slides to notes in the phrase "love me sweet" and at the end "I love you". Also, he has a pretty noticeable southern twang that I detect very minutely in Marian Anderson's rendition of "Sometimes I feel like a motherless child".

No comments:

Post a Comment